Speech Language Therapy
Speech language therapy is a form of rehabilitation that helps individuals develop language skills and oral motor abilities such as swallowing, eating, speaking, and communicating. In order to develop specific and effective communication strategies for those with oral limitations, speech language therapists work to detect, evaluate, diagnose, and treat patients’ speech and language obstacles.
The birth trauma lawyers at Michigan Cerebral Palsy Attorneys have decades of experience providing legal support to the families financially and emotionally burdened by a birth injury. Our team understands how important rehabilitation and lifestyle supports are for children with cerebral palsy, speech and language challenges, or other birth injuries, and we are committed to securing the compensation our clients deserve. Contact our Michigan birth injury lawyers today for a free legal consultation and we will inform you of your legal options–you may call us toll-free at (888) 592-1857 or fill out this online contact form. Our Michigan birth trauma and cerebral palsy lawyers look forward to working with you!
Speech Language Therapy for Cerebral Palsy
Hearing loss, delays in cognitive development, and articulation impediments are all potential resultant conditions associated with cerebral palsy that limit speech and language skills. Speech language therapists assess patients’ language and speech restrictions and implement rehabilitative regimens based on them in order to improve these limitations and prevent further speech inadequacies.
For instance, speech and language communication development strategies for those with cerebral palsy can include the following:
- Muscle strengthening exercises for the many children with cerebral palsy that have affected facial and upper airway muscles
- Implementation of assistive technologies, such as computers that speak for children without the ability to talk
- Exercises in grammar, clear speech, and language for children that can speak but have other developmental delays
- Speech and language therapy regimens coupled with other forms of treatment and therapy, such as art therapy.
What Are the Benefits of Speech Language Therapy for Cerebral Palsy?
- Social skills: Speech language therapy allows children to socialize with others, develop closer relationships with friends and family members, effectively communicate ideas and desires, participate in social or vocal hobbies and activities, and avoid social isolation.
- Cognitive skills: Speech language therapy improves literacy, fosters education, improves memory and recall, and expands vocabulary.
- Emotional well-being: Speech language therapy boosts self-confidence and self-image, increases independence, prompts expression, and eliminates social alienation.
- Physical skills: Speech language therapy strengthens and coordinates the muscles that affect speaking, swallowing, eating, and communicating.
Legal Help for Cerebral Palsy (CP)
When a loved one is affected by cerebral palsy or another birth complication, parents or guardians have to meet expensive medical bills, confront time consuming rehabilitation procedures, and handle great emotional burdens. Unfortunately, birth complications are often the result of negligence on the part of a medical professional. The legal professionals at Michigan Cerebral Palsy Attorneys can help you obtain the compensation your loved one deserves. Call us toll-free at (888) 592-1857 and our Michigan cerebral palsy lawyers evaluate your case for free.